Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Other Half of My Heart by Sundee Frazier

The Other Half of My Heart was an incredible book about biracial twins. Before I read this book, I had no clue twins of two different skin colors could exist. I though that a child of a black person and a white person would be the 'average' of the parents' skin tones. Yet Kelli's skin is a dark brown and Minni's (short for Minerva, after her grandmother) is super pale. The plot follows the two girls as they are sent to stay with their grandmother down south to compete in the 'Miss Black Pearl of America' pageant. The book revolves around the racism in the pageant, in their grandmother, and in the rest of the world. The book is told through Minni's POV, so you get to know her very well, however, I fell like you could get to know Kellie better. I subway this book for kids ages 11-13. I think this book is definitely worth the read. Happy Reading, Native New Yorker!

No comments:

Post a Comment